- This event has passed.
(SCCF Coastal Watch) Coastal Cleanup Day
September 17, 2022 @ 9:30 am - 4:30 pm EDT
The Sanibel Captiva Conservation Foundation’s Coastal Watch program is hosting volunteers to pick up garbage and debris Saturday, Sept. 17 on the islands’ beaches, as part of the Ocean Conservancy’s annual international Coastal Cleanup. Sign up for a section of beach this year and join the global effort.
What to Know Prior to the Event:
• Sign up for a section of beach where you or your group would like to collect trash. Although we limit many sections to two sign-ups, larger groups or families can participate together.
• If you would like to sign up a large group, email firstname.lastname@example.org with your beach site request and how many participants.
• Download the CleanSwell app to track the amount and type of trash collected as part of the event (Data sheets will be provided on the day of for those who prefer a hard copy).
What to Know Day of the Event:
• All participants will meet at 9 a.m. at the Sanibel Sea School (455 Periwinkle Way, Sanibel).
• Cleanup supplies will be provided the morning of the event — trash buckets, gloves, and data sheets. A limited number of free event T-shirts will also be available.
• At 9:30 a.m., participants will depart to their designated beaches. **Parking and transporting collected trash are the participant’s responsibility.**
• Once filled, trash buckets are returned to Sanibel Sea School to be weighed and properly disposed.
Anyone who wishes to participate outside of Sanibel and Captiva can visit the Keep Lee County Beautiful’s site for locations.