by SC Publisher Shannen Hayes
Recreation Director Andrea Miller told the Parks and Recreation Advisory Committee this week that the Sanibel Recreation Center’s revenue and membership count are at a 10-year high.
So far in Fiscal Year 2026, from October 2025 to January 2026, the Recreation Center report shows $322,573 in revenue, up from $220,318 in the same period last fiscal year. Membership is up 20 percent over the same period, from 3,125 to 3,757 members.
The Recreation Center ended the last fiscal year with 6,699 memberships, generating $306,057 in revenue. Previously, FY20 had the highest revenue and membership count in the same period, at 2,810 members and nearly $299,000 in revenue, the reports show.
The $322,573 in revenue includes a $25,000 donation from a private citizen, designated for programs supporting youth. Miller said the donation will be used to purchase new equipment for the Heron Room, and any remaining funds will go towards new shade umbrellas for the pool.
In addition, the Recreation Center began last fiscal year compiling a report on the number of non-resident passes issued after the rate increase. The number of non-resident passes issued from October 2025 to January 2026 has increased by 30 percent compared to the previous fiscal year.
The report shows 1,071 passes have been issued in those four months, compared to 819 in the previous fiscal year. And that increase has brought in $31,366, nearly double last year’s total.
Miller also spoke about concerns over parking congestion at the Recreation Center. She said peak time is from 7 a.m. to noon, and the data shows that most traffic is fitness-related. She added that as the department prepares next year’s budget, extended hours will be considered to alleviate morning congestion.
In the meantime, the Recreation Center has partnered with the Sanibel School next door for additional parking, and staff park at nearby locations and walk to the Recreation Center.
Additional updates from the meeting on Thursday, Feb. 19:
The Sanibel Sports contract will expire in June. Miller said staff will reach out to the organization to determine if there is interest in extending it. Sanibel Sports is a non-profit contracted by the city to organize various youth sports at the ball fields. It will be an agenda item in the future.
Two large fans will be installed under the pavilion at the ball fields. The City of Sanibel, the Sanibel School, and Lee County paid for the fans.
The dilapidated batting cage between ball fields two and three will be demolished. Miller said it has not been used for several years and that it was more cost-effective to demolish than to repair.
The next Parks and Recreation Advisory Committee meeting will be at 9 a.m. March 26 at Sanibel City Hall, 800 Dunlop Rd.
