provided to The Santiva Chronicle
Saturday, Sept. 24, celebrates National Public Lands Day across the United States, a day to enjoy and show love for refuges, parks, and other green spaces protected by the federal government. The J.N. “Ding” Darling National Wildlife Refuge on Sanibel Island hosts free activities that day and waives admission fees to Wildlife Drive.
See the schedule of activities below and visit dingdarlingsociety.org for more information.
• 7 a.m.-7 p.m. Free admission to Wildlife Drive
• 8:30 a.m. Morning Mindfulness at the Observation Tower on Wildlife Drive; pre-register at DingDarling.Eventbrite.com
• 9 a.m.-4 p.m. Self-guided Scavenger Hunt with prizes; check in at the Visitor & Education Center front desk
• 10-11 a.m. Educational nature programs in the Visitor & Education Center Classroom
• 12:30 p.m. International Color Blindness Awareness Month promotion in partnership with EnChroma in the Visitor & Education Center Auditorium. (Year-round, the Refuge serves the colorblind population with a colorblind scope at the Observation Tower and loaner pairs of colorblind sunglasses at the reception desk.)
• 1- 3 p.m. Artist in Residence Artist Reception featuring Jacqui Roch in the Visitor & Education Center Auditorium with refreshments