Miller, Henshaw, Crater Win Sanibel City Council Election

by SC Publisher Shannen Hayes
SC Associate Publisher Chuck Larsen contributed

Sanibel voters cast their ballots and elected three new City Council members in the March 2 election. Mike Miller, John Henshaw and Dr. Scott Crater will join Vice Mayor Holly Smith and Councilman Richard Johnson to complete the five-member council.

Miller, Henshaw and Crater will take the seat held by Mayor Mick Denham, who did not seek reelection after 16 years of serving on council, and the seats temporarily held by Chauncey Goss and Jerry Muench. The trio will be sworn in on March 16, and a new mayor and vice mayor will be elected in that same meeting.

The election had a 46.4 percent voter turnout or 2,675 voted of the 5,787 eligible to vote on Sanibel. Nearly 70 percent of the ballots were cast by mail with the remaining 30 percent or 815 voters casting their ballot at the polls.

City Council Election Results 2021

NameTotal VotesPercentage
Mike Miller1,69523.76
John Henshaw1,63922.97
Dr. Scott Crater1,55721.83
Mary Bondurant1,03414.9
Jason Maughan6949.73
Tim Drobnyk 5157.22


Comments (10)

  1. Jean Chandler

    Congratulations, Mike, Scott and John!

  2. All the best to our brand new council members! Best wishes!

  3. Janice Block Chaddock

    Congratulations, Mike, Scott and John!

  4. Congratulations Mike, John, and Scott. So excited for Sanibel.

  5. Ted Hutler Jr

    Congratulations to the winners; thanks to the losers for their interest. Sanibel Strong!

  6. Thanks to the Chronicle for rapid results publication!

  7. Good things in store for our beautiful Sanibel.

  8. Susan Rautenberg

    Still a Council of white older men and one lone woman. Does not feel representative to me.

  9. Sanibel continues to enjoy governance by a strong, committed, and excellent Council. These three gentleman will clearly continue that tradition. Congrats to the new officials and best wishes to the entire Council.

Leave a Comment

We are interested in articulate, well-informed remarks that are relevant to the article. We welcome your advice, your criticism and your unique insights into the issues of the day. To be approved for publication, your comments should be civil and avoid name-calling. It may take up to 24 hours for your comment to appear, if it is approved.

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.